Please note – it is your responsibility to know what train lines have the concession. If you are found to be travelling on any other lines or companies, or acting not in accordance with the agreement PSD may be informed and you may be subject to criminal and/or misconduct investigation.
The concession includes off duty and in or out of uniform
- Standard travel only not first class.
- There will be an expectation that if called upon by a conductor that you will assist them. If you don’t want to be called upon then pay for the journey.
For example, while there would be a duty to intervene if you witnessed an incident there may well be times when an incident occurs 3 carriages away that you would not be aware of.
By showing your warrant card you are indicating that the conductor may come to you to assist in an incident that you would otherwise be unaware of.
- If you are travelling with Family and friends then they must hold valid tickets for the journey.
- This does not include the Underground.
- If asked by a conductor to pay then you must pay. Politely request the conductor’s name and then report the matter to the Bedfordshire Police Federation who will ensure the conductor is appraised of the agreement to ensure it doesn’t happen again. – This does not mean you will get a refund.
Thameslink / Great Northern Railway Ltd have authorised the existing arrangements for free travel for Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire police officers to continue for the life of the franchise.
This will be until September 2021 but with a possible two-year extension.
You must produce your warrant card as authority to travel.
The concession is for travel between the below stations and all stations in-between.
- Bedford to London Thameslink Stations (St Pancras International / Farringdon / City Thameslink / London Blackfriars / London Bridge – ThamesLink trains only
- Peterborough to London King’s Cross / St Pancras International and all stations to London Bridge – Great Northern and Thameslink only
- King’s Lynn – Cambridge – London Kings Cross / St Pancras International and all stations to London Bridge – Great Northern and Thameslink only
The Govia Thameslink Ltd franchise has been extended to Sep 2021. This concession will be valid until that date.
The concession only applies to officers AFTER they have completed their 16-week training.
Special Constables can only travel free of charge when travelling to or from a prearranged Police Duty